Saturday, October 22, 2011

A weekend of talks and music. And blanket forts.

Conference weekend:  random stuff happening.

For starters, I woke up to discover that the center had been covered in yarn that was all stringing to the parlour--we pretty much had a spider's web going on.  And in said parlour--all the furniture and one or two other things had been turned into a rather large blanket fort.  More yarn all over the room, small toys everywhere, and poems about childhood.  It was an installation project from some of the girls to remind us to play, and to remember childhood, basically.

We also got an awesome breakfast.  When you consider that breakfast every day is cold cereal, yogurt, juice, and toast, having a hot breakfast is quite a treat.  We had pancakes, English bacon, scrambled eggs, and potatoes.  Delicious stuff.  I like hot breakfasts and hadn't had pancakes in a while and missed them.

That evening, we went to a classical music concert.  Can't remember where at present; I'll get back to you on that one.  Conference was scheduled to start at 5, I believe, but we were leaving for the concert at about 5:30 or so.  (I did find out before leaving that the Provo Tabernacle was being rebuilt and was very excited to hear that--jumping up and down excited.)  The concert was very nice.  I believe it was the royal orchestra--again, I'll get back with the details later, hopefully.  The concert hall was pretty cool, also--there were funny square balconies sticking out on the sides.  We weren't in those, we were in the center at about mid-back.  I still think I like being closer to the music.

That finished, and several of us went out to the other end of town where Emily Brown had gotten a chance to play at a local venue--we were in what one of the girls called "the indie part of town."  First gig like that I've ever been to.  It was fun; there were about 10 or so of us and probably another 10 to 15 people in the room, and we all liked Emily's music quite a bit.  See also:  http://thisgoeswithus.com/music.php .  She's also got music on Spotify, if you use that.

Got back and tried to listen to some conference but I was tired and drifted off about an hour into the first session, so I gave up and went to sleep, then listened the next morning.  That meant that with another 4 hours in the evening up in the classroom, I got 6-7 hours of conference in in one day.  That's kind of a lot.  We had conference streamed to a laptop connected to the big-screen TV in the classroom, and it worked very well except for the not-so-infrequent pauses which could get frustrating.  (We also got cookies/biscuits and milk between sessions, which was rather fun.  Big, chewy cookies which I haven't seen a lot of around here.  Tasty.)  I thought it was kind of amusing that last conference was "Get married!"  and this one is "Have kids!"  Good stuff, though--I always like conference.

There's a sketch of the weekend.  Hope you enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment